Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Grassy Spot by the Beer Garden

Today I took my sister and two of her friends to Warped Tour. For them that meant nine awesome hours of watching and meeting some of their favorite bands. For me it meant sitting in the shade in a patch of grass by the beer garden, reading and watching teenagers walk by wearing dangerously oversexy clothes and lots of black eyeliner. For nine hours. And I sat in gum and got hit on a couple of times and changed position about a thousand times to soothe my aching back and my poor bruised butt and I observed that crowd surfing looks like a pretty uncomfortable hobby. By about the middle of the day, I wanted desperately just to be alone for a few minutes, but there were people everywhere. And since even burying my nose in a book and refusing to hold up my end of a conversation was failing to ensure me a little bubble of solitude, I went to the bathroom. There was miraculously no one in any of the stalls, so I stayed there for a while. I sat on a public toilet for longer than necessary, and it was fantastic. In fact, it would've been the highlight of my day if it hadn't been for all of the teenage gratitude thrown my way on the drive home. Because that's actually why I do these things.

5 Comments:

Blogger Laura Stamps said...

Hi, I just found your blog, and I'm curious about the name of it. What does the "Blood" mean? Does it mean you are a fan of dark urban fantasy novels? Anyway, I can relate to you taking a book and reading in the midst of all those people. I am a hopeless book addict myself, and carry my TBR list in a pocket-size Dayrunner 3-ring binder in my purse, divided into the categories I like to read. Crazy, but true! Yes, I love urban fantasy, which is why I asked (Lilith Saintcrow, Jim Butcher, Charlaine Harris, etc....I'm reading Tanya Huff at the moment). No, I have never read Harry Potter, and probably won't. Although a book addict can never say never (grin)!

7/30/2007 6:52 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Laura,
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Actually, I think when I came up with the name I was thinking of blood as a symbol of life. So it probably could just as easily have been named Life and Literature, but I guess I was feeling dramatic that day. I actually read very little fantasy. In fact, my niche for both reading and writing is pretty consistently realistic fiction.

7/30/2007 9:21 AM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

I think if I had been forced to be around a plethora of angst-ridden teenagers for 9 hours, sitting on the toilet would probably be the highlight of my day, too!

7/30/2007 10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry that you had to sit for nine hours and the only highlight of your day was sitting on the toliet but if it weren't for you taking us I would have gotten chewed out by sarah and alex for not being albe to get them a ride to warped so you basically made my life by doing that for me thanks amber I love you

sincerly
Your angst ridden teenage sister.

8/04/2007 3:42 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Ha. I love you, too, Teresa. And really, it wasn't that bad. At least there was a grassy spot.

8/06/2007 12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home