Sunday, October 29, 2006

Scared Now

I just took the first of two practice tests for the GRE Literature Subject Test, and figured out my score and percentile ranking. And for the next week, when I'm not working or sleeping, I'll be studying. Because I would actually be embarrassed to apply for PhD candidacy at schools that had seen a score like the one I got tonight. (And if you're thinking this is my tendency toward perfectionism and self-deprecation talking...well, it's not. My score sucked by pretty modest standards.)

Standardized tests: messing with people's heads and futures since 1909.

3 Comments:

Blogger Froyd said...

standardized tests are the biggest BS benchmark. If people can TEACH them, then there's no standard for testing the common person taking the test. And if the score is not up to par, that just means that you haven't been introduced to THE SPECIFIC STANDARD. Hell, you could be a genius in sci-fi/fantasy literature(and it is literature) but does any of that come up on these "standardized" tests? No. They don't accurately measure anything worthwhile.

Don't tell my future employer that I said that though.

10/29/2006 1:59 PM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

Ditto, Froyd.

10/29/2006 4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found your blog while searching for more study tips...I'll be suffering the pangs on Saturday, as well, as ETS rips the heart from my chest. Sadly, I've already taken the GRE Lit once before--but the damn score expired!! Anyway, my point is, you'll be fine. Practice tests are always rough. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a fellow test-taker!

10/30/2006 9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home