Saturday, October 14, 2006

On Feet

Every morning now, when I place my feet on the hardwood floor beside the bed and stand up, the soles of my feet tingle dully as if an electrical current is running through them. Then that gives way to simple soreness and I hobble a few steps toward the bathroom before my feet begin to loosen. They never really stop being sore, though, and even on my days off it feels good to contort them, contracting and stretching the muscles.

I've had full-time jobs before, but never a job that actually involved being on my feet for forty hours a week. And I wear good shoes, good old Docs, but my feet still suffer. But I'll take this side-effect, I think, because the others aren't so bad. Working around books makes me ache to read books. And reading books, I'm discovering, makes me want to write. I'm gradually becoming motivated to get up earlier in the morning than I have to, so I can start my day with something more than just ironing and applying makeup. Even if I don't write, if I study Spanish instead, it hijacks a day of menial tasks and instantly transforms it into a day in which I made knowledge, not just money. And that feels good. Just ignore my protesting feet.

3 Comments:

Blogger Loralee Choate said...

The feet thing will go away. When I went to work as a bookseller I thought I would die for the first two weeks. Then it was fine.

I never got used to early mornings, though. Bleck.

10/14/2006 11:00 AM  
Blogger erin said...

yeah, the feets will get used to it. i have been known, after a particularly long day, to sit on the bathroom counter and soak my feet in cold water in the sink. that always helped me.

10/15/2006 7:17 PM  
Blogger Jessie said...

"Working around books makes me ache to read books. And reading books, I'm discovering, makes me want to write."

Ditto. Absolutely. I agree. The same thing has happened to me...and I love it. Happy working. Happy reading. Happy writing. ;)

10/18/2006 11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home