Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Damn

Apparently, though my "credentials are satisfactory," I can't have the perfect summer job. I applied for a six-week teaching position with a "summer enrichment program" for high school students, but was struck down in the Battle of Qualified Applicants. I'm disappointed, mostly because it was perfect, at least in terms of my plans this year. I would've had two weeks to relax after school ended, then six weeks of work, and finally two weeks just before we want to move, when we could apartment-hunt, job-hunt and pack. And I would've made enough money in those six weeks to assuage my guilt about the four weeks off.

Instead, I'll spend the summer sitting behind a desk at one of three hotels whose managers compete to employ me. Reliability, while often boring, has its perks.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

Thanks for your incredulity. They did say I was qualified. But apparently other people were MORE qualified. But it will be nice to have a little less stress for the summer. Unfortunately, one of the drawbacks of working at hotels is that I will usually work 3-11 PM. That's a serious impediment to my social life. BUT on the bright side, I will rarely need to get up early...so I can make up for not arriving at the party until after 11 by staying extra late.

4/05/2006 10:12 PM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

AND...people who TRAVEL ALSO SUCK.

Can you tell I have worked in the industry?

See...at least some of the silver linings aren't so bad! Good parties in your 20's usually don't perk up until after 11, anyway!

4/07/2006 12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home