Friday, October 10, 2008

Don't Believe Everything You Read

This is the description on the back of Dedication, the DVD I watched tonight:

"Mandy Moore and Billy Crudup star in this uplifting romantic comedy about life and love in the big city. Crudup is Henry Roth, a successful children's writer more comfortable with fiction than real people. When his only friend and collaborator passes away, Henry must team with Lucy - a beautiful-but-sassy illustrator who drives him crazy before eventually melting his gruff heart."

Internet, this movie is about a crrrrazy person. Legally, clinically, certifiably, and in all other ways crazy. It is the darkest, grittiest romantic comedy I've ever seen, and it only becomes "uplifting" toward the end, after crushing your spirit under its boot heel, and then it's really only relatively uplifting. Like, you no longer want to off yourself. I'm not saying I didn't like it--in fact, I'm glad it wasn't a vat of sap, and the acting was primo--but I don't appreciate being lied to under any circumstances, and the spin in the description has wandered deep into the rolling hills of Untruth.

Sheesh, anonymous movie blurb writer. Other people have to be writers, too, and now no one's going to trust us.

Oh, and my fellow American consumers, stop demanding pablum. Then maybe marketers won't feel the need to lie to us quite so baldly.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Teriiza said...

ohmygod! That was hilarious!
Seriously, like I was reading it and I had to read the paragraph about you explaining how wrong the review was to Elisha. That gave us a great laugh.

Thanks, Sis.

10/11/2008 11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home