Sunday, September 21, 2008

Compelling New Evidence that I'm a Total Geek

Next week I'm teaching a chapter on adjectives and adverbs, so today I'm writing a test that includes a number of sentences containing misplaced and dangling modifiers, and they are cracking me up. Some of my favorites:

After washing the car, my dog wanted to be walked.
Excited about my vacation, the plane took off soon after I boarded it.
Having not eaten for hours, the sandwich looked delicious.
At dinner I would indulge in a giant lobster tail watching the sunset.
Last year, my sister bought a car from a neighbor with no backseat.

Ha! Lobster tails watching the sunset! Now that's comedy!

I'm afraid this may be a very embarrassing week for me.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Doug P. Baker said...

Well, Geek,

Those were pretty hilarious. But as a big fan of Basho I can tell you that some of those sound a lot like translations of his haiku. You have to forget that you ever heard anything about 7-5-7, because translations cannot really preserve such finery.

After washing the car
my dog wanted to be walked

Never mind that Basho never dreamt of cars, the thoughts and flow of thoughts fit him well.

9/21/2008 2:41 PM  
Blogger nrlaumei said...

Ermmm...these made me laugh, too. Especially the neighbor with no backseat. There should be a stand-up comedy show with stuff like this for people like us. :D

9/21/2008 3:01 PM  
Blogger Laura B. said...

Yes. Very high-order comedy. (high-order? level? am i totally f%$#ing up an expression?!) Anyway, I too appreciated these :)

9/25/2008 6:46 PM  
Blogger Teriiza said...

I like the neighbor with no backseat one that's really funny.

9/27/2008 1:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Andrea sent me a link I thought you might like concerning the diagramming of sentences. Particularly the 'sentences' of a certain Vice Presidential candidate. No, not the plagiarist. The other one.
Enjoy...
http://www.slate.com/id/2201158/

10/02/2008 10:34 PM  
Blogger Clink said...

heh...and there you have the first draft of anything I tend to write.

10/07/2008 4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home