Saturday, November 17, 2007

Saturday Night, Hermit Style

Tonight Eric is visiting a friend who lives waaayhayhay out of town, where they will be drinking, and since driving from way out of town back into town after drinking is generally purported to be unwise, he'll be sleeping at his friend's temporary bachelor pad. (The guy's fiancee is out of town.) Normally I would look forward to a whole night of behavior straight from the id, like uninterrupted reading or Sims or crocheting (mine is a very nerdy id), but tonight those options sounded a little lonely, and I was left with the realization that while I like a lot of people who seem to like me back, I don't have many friendships well-developed enough that I can just call and request company for the evening. (And the ones I do have are with moms or other perpetually busy people.) I did decide that it is no longer uncool, at the age of almost-27, to like and be friends with my mom, so I tried to call her to see if she wanted to go to a movie, but she didn't answer either of her phones.

So I'm making the best of it, and doing a pretty good job, I think. First, I got and ate in its entirety one of the world's most enormous burritos. Then I watched a compelling BBC documentary about the neurological aspects of spiritual and religious experiences, during which a scientist tried to induce such an experience in Richard Dawkins. After that, I casually started researching my next Get Rid of Things topic. Later, after I put away my laundry, I'm going to watch a romantic comedy and probably drink a peppermint patty. I'll no doubt end the evening by reading Crime and Punishment and falling asleep in the middle of the bed. So...relaxation, edification, fun, productivity, and good food. I think I'm okay.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger nrlaumei said...

I wish I would have known -- I would have invited you to come to The Darjeeling Limited with us . . . although for as exhausted as I am after just leaving the house for movie and dinner, your night sounds more relaxing. :)

11/17/2007 11:33 PM  
Blogger Teriiza said...

Amber,
You totally could've called me to do something even though I can't drive out to see you chances are I was just as bored as you and would've gladly seen a movie with you. So just remember yeah I maybe your little sis but I am someone to do something with :]

12/09/2007 1:16 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Teresa--Hey, thanks. I guess I always assume you're busy on weekends. But next time I'll definitely try giving you a call.

12/09/2007 4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home