Saturday, October 13, 2007

Possibly the Most Anyone's Ever Written About Radiators

So they turned the heat on in our building last night, and for several hours I was in love with radiators, which I've never had before, except for that one dorm room where the radiator didn't work the whole time I lived there. At first I thought I missed the cozy winter sound of the furnace roaring on and the heat blowing through the vents, but then I noted the advantages of this: radiators don't blow ancient dust into the air to aggravate my asthma, and since they're always on, the room is always toasty, instead of going down to arctic temperatures every ten minutes before the thermostat notices and kicks the furnace back on.

And then this morning I realized, holy heat wave Batman, the radiators are always on. After I broke a sweat doing my yoga, and again while drinking my tea, I checked the thermostat, which might not be exactly accurate, being about 50 years old, but it's something like 78 degrees in here. Since the thermostat doesn't actually do anything except tell us the temperature we're being forced to live at, I could only turn on the ceiling fan. And that's helping, for now, but I'm not looking forward to vacuuming later today.

Also, in non-radiator news, we're leaving tonight after work for our weekend away. I'm feeling ambivalent now, like I always do, about leaving home. But we have just a couple of good things on our itinerary, and a few restaurants we want to hit, and I have no work whatsoever to take with me. The relaxing is going to be excellent, especially with this cold I have that makes me feel floaty like I'm on cold medicine, even though I'm not.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura B. said...

I love your titles lately.

Wow. A weekend away. I hope it's been wonderful---

10/13/2007 10:44 PM  
Blogger nrlaumei said...

We're still not sure if our radiators are on (they're supposed to be) ... and our "thermostat" is a two-dollar mercury thermometer glued to the wall. :)

I hope you guys have/had a great weekend -- we're looking forward to seeing you soon.

10/15/2007 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home