Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Bookseller

Like bookkeeper, except infinitely better. Especially when it's lead bookseller in the fiction section. Which I will be. Exactly that.

When they called to offer me the job, my evil nasty cell phone did something it's never done before: it failed to ring or even show the you missed a call and have new voicemail message. That means the hole in my intestines had a full forty minutes to get even bigger before I tried to call my dad in a panic of what-are-my-options-if-
they-don't-call-today-and-I'm-supposed-to-start-somewhere-else-
tomorrow, and happened to see the little voicemail symbol on the screen. And then I did a happy dance until my monkey slippers fell off, so it might be good that I wasn't actually on the phone with a person right that moment.

My joy was briefly tarnished by the necessity of calling the other job to tell them I couldn't work there after all. But they were surprisingly cool about it. When I said I wasn't going to be able to start tomorrow...or at all, actually, the guy chuckled and wished me luck. I'm afraid I might've misjudged him a little, and I'll probably spend at least a few minutes second-guessing my decision to walk away from all that additional cash. But I think I've spent a lot of my life being too damn rational. I'm trying to learn to trust my gut, and my gut recoiled so hard against that first job, I spent half a day crying. For a week, my gut's been urging me to believe that enjoying my work is worth more than $300 a month. Here's hoping my gut isn't a moron.

6 Comments:

Blogger nrlaumei said...

Yay!!! Let's celebrate ... sometime in the next week when we aren't all working. (When?)

9/13/2006 5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GET A JOB

9/13/2006 5:45 PM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

I loved working as a bookseller.
Hopefully this store will let you "Check Out" QUality paperbacks to read (Plus you will get loads of presells, merch and awewsome discounts.)

I loved that job and I rocked at it.

Guts rarely lie.


CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9/13/2006 9:02 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

If I remember correctly, one of the benefits they told me about was that I can check out hardcover books for up to two weeks. Which is good, because it will help curb my actual spending. I can't allow myself to take much advantage of the discount, because I'll be just barely making enough money to live on as it is. (However, it will help with books I need anyway, like the Writer's Market and a practice book for the GRE Subject Test in Literature.)

9/14/2006 2:24 PM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

Oh, good. I really REALLY loved the check out option (Except for when I had to purchase "Little Children" because I dropped it in a puddle. Figures that I would have to fork out $20 to by a book I detested.).

9/14/2006 8:29 PM  
Blogger Jessie said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I'm glad you got it, but I knew you would!

Isn't "checking out books" great?! I've been bringing a rather ridiculous load of them home after every shift (and no, not all children's books. :)-). I have mucho reading to do. I love it! And I'm sure you will too. :)

Again, congrats. I'm happy for you.

9/14/2006 8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home