Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Not Recommended

Being afraid of your own cat is a pain in the ass.

I know I said I wasn't going to write about it anymore, but forgetting has turned out to be futile. Piper hasn't even really forgotten yet. I thought she had, mostly, because she'd been so cool and normal for a few days, even yesterday when the property manager banged on our door to borrow a pen. But last night after dinner we opened The Window for the first time in two weeks to clear the eye-burning onion residue from the air, and she became a giant ball of kitty tension. This morning she was fine until the other cat and I walked toward her at the same time. Then she fluffed up to about twice her actual size, and I felt compelled to call Eric out of bed to protect me. He's sleeping again now, on the couch, with Piper stretched out next to him. A few minutes ago I gave her some love and some treats, and all seemed well. But Eric leaves for work in an hour and a half, and I'm anticipating a tense day.

I've been reading about cat aggression online. The usual recommendation for a situation like this is to block the cat's access to The Window. Not sure how that's done. I've emailed the property manager. We're moving. Preferably before our lease is up in August. Maybe that's how that's done.

***UPDATE***
I just talked to the property manager. The apartment directly above us will be undergoing a few renovations, and will be available at the end of this month. She showed it to me. I called Eric. We said we'd take it. Time to start packing.

***UPDATE 2***
The crazy has begun to set in. More specifically, the: did we act too impulsively what if the layout up there is too similar to abate the cat's window anxiety oh no I'd given up on that out-of-town job I applied for but now what if I get it and we're saddled with another 12-month lease this is going to cost us more in rent I don't get any of the excitement of moving into a new and different space maybe we should have held out and looked at more apartments I can't believe I'm moving into an apartment that still has a gouge in the door from where someone tried to break in not that long ago now I have to start packing up my house and it hasn't even been a year since the last time we had to move and I have an insecure cat who, according to my imagination, could attack me if I start packing boxes and moving stuff around. You know, the crazy.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Clink said...

Oh my goodness! Is there a Cat Whisperer? Does Ceaser Milan have a brother maybe that does it?

Any chance thet will let you try the cat in the apartment upstairs before signing the lease?

5/07/2008 5:09 PM  
Blogger Froyd said...

this is why I fought my cat in an epic four day battle when I first got her. After I acheived dominance and respect, she became all lovey dovey.

You may want to consider fighting your cat.

5/08/2008 3:40 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Clink--We could probably take her up there any time we want, since the apartment is vacant and unlocked. But I think she'd be so wary of being in a new place that it would be impossible to gauge her behavior on normal terms.

Froyd--Fighting my cat is what got me in this situation in the first place. Unless...wait...do you mean with swords? Because we haven't tried that.

5/08/2008 4:38 PM  
Blogger Froyd said...

Yeah, with swords. Your mistake was attempting to fight without weapons. That's a big no-no.

Cats respect nothing so much as a swift and shiny blade.

5/10/2008 1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home