Friday, January 12, 2007

Today I sat for fifteen minutes in a waiting room at the downtown hospital where Natasha and I will be volunteering. I watched people filter in and out, caught snippets of conversation in Spanish, smiled when an old black man grinned at a toddler and said, "Hi there, baby." A Mexican woman brought in a tiny baby covered in tubes, and I was so enthralled with him that I didn't notice the first time the phlebotomist called my name.

I was one of two white people in the room. The other one, an overweight woman who covered herself with a faded jean jacket and a feathery pink scarf while she waited, clearly has a harder life than I do.

I might complain sometimes about the eighty hours of volunteering to which the hospital wants me to commit, and I might complain about having to make four trips downtown for tuberculosis screenings, and I might complain about losing my car on the roof of a parking garage while the wind chill was -11. But really, I can't grudge the people in that waiting room my time.

I'm very lucky.

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura B. said...

Amber -
It's nice to have found you! I started a blog of my own, and I am slowly discovering more connections---

You sound well. I hope you have a very nice weekend!

1/13/2007 8:55 AM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

I think that I may volunteer in the hospital this year as well. I am looking for purpose in my life lately and it is intriguing me.

1/14/2007 6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home