Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Book Infestation

I've been reading a lot lately, and that's a good thing, even if I've been letting it get in the way of some other things I should be doing, like scouring the Writer's Market for places to submit a couple of finished short stories and researching and writing my first article for a particular website. I've been reading really good books, too--addictive yet intelligent books. The fact that I have both the time and the resources to discover and read these books makes me a very happy geek. But my life at the moment presents a problem that's tearing me up a little bit.

Here's my predicament: I have too many sources of reading material. The last two books I've read were borrowed from a friend. Before that, I borrowed a hardcover book from the bookstore where I work. This book-borrowing thing is something I feel that I should take full advantage of while I can. (Free books! Limited time only!) I also have a couple of advance copies that I picked up in the break room at work. These are books that will be coming out in the spring, and I think I should read them before they come out, so I can recommend them (or not) to customers. That, after all, is why publishers give us advance copies. BUT. But I bought several books last month, while my discount was temporarily increased to 40% and I had a gift card. I bought time-consuming books that I can't read in the time I'd have if I borrowed them from a library or from the store. Classic books. Books I should probably read before I start my PhD, because I don't expect to have time for them once I'm in school again, and it's frankly a little embarrassing that I've never read them. (I'm talking about books like Moby Dick, The Brothers Karamazov, Anna Karenina, The Picture of Dorian Grey.) And I'm not the kind of girl who reads more than one book at a time. When I start a book, I enter into a commitment with it. So there will be no compromising. I have to choose a book. One book. But how to choose, when they're all so tempting?

6 Comments:

Blogger Laura B. said...

I love your predicament! I have the same one, and...I haven't read some of "those" books, either, though I think I have them all in my bookshelves!
Which one will you choose?!
Happy Tuesday!

1/23/2007 5:45 PM  
Blogger Froyd said...

Moby Dick is a horrendous book, and it really isn't that great.

Brothers Karamazov more than makes up for it however.

1/23/2007 10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto what froyd said about Moby Dick- that's from a well read friend who is retired and spends her day reading. Doesn't that sound like a perfect way to spend the day?

1/24/2007 10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a dilemma so many books and what say ONLY another 60 years to read them all.

1/29/2007 12:03 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

But new books are published every week, and I'm already WAY behind.

By the way, guys...I'm enjoying Moby Dick so far.

1/29/2007 12:30 PM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

Dorian Grey is one of my all time favorites. Anna K. is a great book but hella depressing (I know you know this).

I have never read the great white whale tome. I just cannot get past the first few chapters.

Why I never had to read this in school is beyond me.

2/05/2007 10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home