Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Pigeons

Two pigeons, enormous compared with the mourning doves I was used to seeing in Bemidji, just landed in my back yard and began gulping down the kernels of corn Eric scattered for the squirrels. As they landed, they cast impressive shadows in the beam of sunlight bathing the kitchen wall. One white, one dark grey, both have necks wrapped with rainbows of tiny iridescent feathers. And I wonder: Do the world's most famously hated birds find solace in the fact that they're beautiful?

2 Comments:

Blogger News is Good said...

They have no concept of solace, which is sad; yet on the plus side they can't read blogs, which saves them a lot of time otherwise wasted.

11/21/2006 2:20 PM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

I love pigeons. One flew into my dorm window and broke its wing. My roomie and I made a crate and got a harness and took it on walks. (Lame, I know).

The owner wanted to destroy it because it was no longer good as a racing pigeon, so I took it to a bird sanctuary.

11/21/2006 7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home