Saturday, April 22, 2006

A Boat Ride!

Today we took Eric's new-to-him boat out on the lake for the first time, and packed a picnic lunch: chicken, dinner rolls, and an orange to share. When we got hungry, we dropped anchor by a wooded stretch of shore near campus, where we were serenaded by someone playing a brass instrument on the roof of the aquatics lab. I thought it sounded like a tuba, but Eric-the-former-tuba-player said it was some other instrument whose name he couldn't remember. Whatever it was, the person playing needed practice. I think the pair of mallards that joined us for lunch were confused by the music, which frequently sounded like the quack of an enormous duck.

When we split the orange, Eric let me have the half with the extra cluster of orange segments up at the top. I sucked as much juice out of them as I could before tossing the remaining pulp into the lake, where it floated navel up. A few seagulls came by and tried to ascertain whether the piece of orange was anything they wanted to eat. Only one seemed to actually want it, and it was fun to watch him swoop to get a closer look, and then to snatch at it and miss. (Unlike Jes, we kind of enjoy the gulls.)

Unfortunately, we couldn't stay out long, because Eric had to be at work by 4:00, and I have work to do at home. So after lunch, we turned around and went back through the channel to Lake Irvine, where we'd used the landing. Eric steered, and I went incognito.


I had my doubts about the boat when Eric's uncle offered it to him, but now I'm glad we have it. This was an excellent (and beautiful) way to spend the afternoon. And I agree with Jessie: this is something I'll miss when we move to the city later in the summer.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

mmm, yeah...that looks like a good way to spend part of the day. it looks peaceful.

4/22/2006 6:47 PM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

I love being ON the water, just not in it! It sounds like a beautiful day!

4/23/2006 11:54 AM  
Blogger tiffany said...

Those are some good pictures.

4/23/2006 6:21 PM  
Blogger erin said...

there's nothing nicer than a day on the boat - with a picnic lunch no less!

4/27/2006 2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home