Monday, February 20, 2006

Suggestions, Please

The next paper my class will write is going to be an interpretation of a film. Last year, when my class was food themed, we watched Chocolat. That worked well, but I'd rather not use it again (partly because I showed a different Johnny Depp movie last semester). I was thinking of using Pleasantville, but I just finished rewatching it and, while there are subtleties in it that could make for interesting and unique interpretations, it clubs you so hard over the head with its main thesis that I don't think many students would look past that. So I'm in the market for a sort of literary movie - one that's rich in imagery, symbolism, and lends itself to multiple interpretations. Any suggestions?

7 Comments:

Blogger nrlaumei said...

Amelie.

2/21/2006 8:19 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

I LOVE that movie, and I considered it. But there's a guy in my class who doesn't see well, and I feel like I should avoid subtitles for his sake.

2/21/2006 10:09 AM  
Blogger nrlaumei said...

Oh. Damn.

2/21/2006 11:50 AM  
Blogger erin said...

how about virgin suicides?

2/21/2006 1:51 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Oooooh. I forgot about that one. I don't remember much about it, in fact. Except that I liked it.

2/21/2006 2:23 PM  
Blogger erin said...

It's one of my favs - it's so dreamy. Simple, yet complicated - sort of works on a mythic level with the nostalgia and neighborhood legend, etc. If you want to preview it I can bring it next week - don't know when your class is...

2/21/2006 3:49 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Actually, I'll be showing the movie all next week, so I'm trying to decide today. But I rented it from Blockbuster this afternoon. I'm about to watch it.

2/21/2006 5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home