Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Out of the Trance

The first draft of my story is finished. There wasn't any fanfare or fireworks or parades. It's just finished. I think I need a drink.

Today was otherwise uneventful. I had my first cup of rose petal tea, and it's good. Roses, it turns out, taste much like they smell. So now if anyone ever buys me a bouquet of roses, I'll probably salivate.

I also drugged a friend of mine. She was having an allergic reaction, and the mystery medicine in my purse that I could have sworn was benadryl turned out to be something else, ergo unhelpful. I think it actually made it worse, since it made her feel "funny" in addition to itchy.

And I'm still a big ball of stress. My wholehearted attempt to progress through the paper trail leading up to my graduation turned up a temporary dead end and a lot of frustration. I think this might be the least cohesive English department in the world. As one professor aptly put it, "Every professor is a law unto himself." Which is probably cool if you're a professor. But for a student trying to coordinate comprehensive exams that ultimately involve four professors, it's confusing as hell.

I'm hoping that tomorrow the fact that I actually wrote a 34-page short story will seem real and make me more chipper. For now I'm just dazed.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lynn Green said...

Congratulations on finishing your story. Good luck the finishing touches.

2/15/2006 10:37 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Thanks. And thanks.

2/15/2006 10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as for being dazed...maybe you should lay off the mystery medicine. heehee! just kidding.

and as for the paper trail and lack of cohesiveness--I couldn't agree more. btw, I'm afraid to ask, but why do you have 4 professors (rather than 3) involved in your comps? Is there anything else I haven't been informed of?

ugh.

On the bright side...CONGRATS on finishing the creative side of your thesis! I knew you could do it!

2/16/2006 6:44 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

I was confused when I wrote about the 4 professors, and now that my confusion has been alleviated (a little), I can explain: There really should be only 3 professors involved. It just so happened that the first 2 I chose to talk to both wanted to defer to my thesis advisor on matters of topic and timing. But my thesis advisor told me today that she's never had any other professors try to filter questions about comps through her that way. So you only have to worry about 3 professors, Jessie.

2/16/2006 7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home