Thursday, January 26, 2006

Ode to Insomnia

For Keats

O Insomnia! lifting heavy lids,
Charming busy thoughts and long reflection,
Loose me from thy grip and bear destruction.
Alas, tomorrow's work of me does bid
A most calm and alert disposition.
Yet you insist upon holding most fast
Until even black and siamese cats
Wonder at the crinkle of old pages
In volumes of English literature,
At three in the morning, from past ages.
A shot - no two - of brandy should suffice
And yet I only float more peacefully
About sleep, which at this hour would be nice.
I beg you, release me mercifully.


(This is the first time I have used pentameter. Please forgive me if it is not also iambic.)

4 Comments:

Blogger erin said...

dang, girl, most impressive, especially as written in an insomniac state. i can't even spell pentameter at 2 in the morning!

1/26/2006 10:30 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Thanks. :) The important thing, though, is that it made me tired enough to sleep after only another twenty minutes or so of lying in bed.

1/26/2006 11:30 AM  
Blogger tiffany said...

Wow. That poem is worlds better than the stuff I've been posting lately. It's great.

Also, have you tried sleeping pills?

1/26/2006 1:24 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Ack! Please don't suggest that my 4 a.m. writing experiment even comes close to your poetry. Your poems make me feel things. This poem made me giggle. Then it made me sleepy.

I've misused NyQuil in the past, but I've never used a real sleeping pill.

1/26/2006 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home