Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Deadline (Super Anxiety) Day

It's December 20. Today, all of my Ph.D. application materials are due. Already this morning, I've had a conversation with the GRE people about why I still have not received my scores. They assured me that the scores were mailed last week, to me, to the graduate school, and to the English department. Then I called the English department hoping to find out that they had already received my scores, but learned instead that a great many applications are still in boxes there, waiting to be sorted. "When we get everything together," she told me, "We'll email you to let you know what's missing." Whew. My thesis advisor was right; they play hardass with the deadline ("All application materials must arrive by December 20. We cannot consider incomplete applications.") and then give you a chance to fill in the blanks if there are any. Good to know.

So I'll spend the rest of today trying to be normal for the first time in weeks. I'll do yoga, finally eat breakfast, take a shower, take out the recycling, clean out the fridge (We have leftover pumpkin pie in there - from Thanksgiving. Eric lifted the corner of the tinfoil last night and said it was scary.), wash the dishes, work on Spanish, read Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson (Small-town literature recommended by my thesis advisor. I'm on Chapter 2, and love it.), maybe start to read some scholarly stuff for my thesis. I also need to call the Ground Round and find out if they have vegetarian options other than salad. If they don't, I'll have to choose another restaurant for my birthday party.

This is my life, uncomplicated. I love being busy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

hey amber! got your message--and yep, we'll be there! :)

12/20/2005 10:52 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Yay! See you then!

12/21/2005 11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home