Saturday, December 17, 2005

Don't Drink the Blueberry Soda

It all started with a puffy lower eyelid. I looked disfigured and weird, but it wasn't a problem because I was about to go to bed. But between 1:00 and 3:00 this morning, I only half-slept, and kept emerging from half-sleep to scratch at my wrists until they felt so raw I thought I might bleed. By 3, I was conscious enough to realize that wrists this itchy are not normal, so I wrapped myself in a bathrobe and went to the bathroom, where there is light.

Hives. All up my forearms, the backs of my hands. I threw off my robe and twisted around, peering at myself in the mirror. A hive here, there, on my spine, on my leg. A small patch on my left shoulder blade. Ick. Hate rashes. I dug out the cortisone cream and smeared it everywhere I could see a bump. Then I went back to bed and suffered, didn't sleep. Tried to figure out what the hell I'm allergic to. I hadn't accidentally ingested any amoxicillin, of that I was certain. By 4:30 I could feel that the hives had multiplied, and since I had nothing better to do, I got out of bed again and inspected myself in the mirror. A column of hives up both of my sides. I went back to bed, lay flat on my back with my arms along my sides and tried not to move. Finally, the itching eased up and I slept. When I awoke at 9:00, I was having the worst asthma attack I've had since I was diagnosed. The itching started again, mostly on my head where I can't put cortisone.

The only thing different about yesterday was the blueberry soda. Eric went to Hibbing a couple of weeks ago and brought back this soda, Ely Elixir. Made in Ely. Blueberry flavor. Awful unnatural blue color. We finally drank it last night. Yummy, but it must be the thing I'm allergic to.

Ugh. I'm going to take a shower. Wonder if that will make me itch less, or more?

5 Comments:

Blogger tiffany said...

Amber that's aweful! I hope you feel better soon.

12/17/2005 11:38 AM  
Blogger nrlaumei said...

I'm allergic to some fruit, and sometimes I get hives from it. My left eye and the entire left side of my face were swollen the other week when I was making apple pie. Fun stuff. I hope you feel better... =)

12/17/2005 11:58 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Thanks for the well-wishes. Unfortunately, as of now, I'm still friggin' itchy.

12/17/2005 4:07 PM  
Blogger nrlaumei said...

I take allergy medicine to help mine -- zyrtect or benadryl or maybe claritin might help. Benadryl makes me a little loopy, though. Once in awhile it's fun to fall out of chairs and run into wall but not often. Who knows, maybe it's just the distraction you need to stop itching!

12/17/2005 4:58 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

I actually just went out and bought some benadryl. I took two a couple of minutes ago, so we'll see what happens. If it makes you loopy, maybe I should have just taken one. Or maybe two will be fun...it is Saturday night, after all.

12/17/2005 5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home