Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Don't Read This, Mom

There was a break-in at our apartment building this morning. I don't know any of the details because when a neighbor told me about it, I didn't have the presence of mind to ask the normal questions. Such as: "Was anything stolen?" "Was anyone hurt?" and "What?!" I do know (because I just recently went up to get the mail) that the door to the apartment directly above ours is being repaired. I've never felt even vaguely unsafe here before, but I kind of do now.

***UPDATE***
The details: Would-be thieves pried open the alley door with a crowbar, then made their way to the apartment directly upstairs. Tried to pry open that door, but a neighbor heard "some goofy stuff in the hall" (probably the same noises that made me lock my door this morning) and walked out of his apartment to check it out. Found two guys standing in the front vestibule, one holding a gym bag, who claimed to be waiting for a cab. He talked to them for a while, until they left (not in a cab), then called the police. The property manager has already been here, and the doors have been fixed. The residents of the apartment building across the street seem somewhat less savory than the ones here, and the neighbor thinks some of them were able to see from there into the upstairs neighbor's apartment (her blinds are always wide open at night). They didn't get into her apartment because they were interrupted, but that was lucky, and I'm feeling pretty vulnerable.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Loralee Choate said...

Yikes.

That is pretty scary.

I'm totally glad that nothing worse happened. I hope she's more careful with her blinds from this point on...

2/19/2008 7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Booo!
-MAK

2/25/2008 6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home