Saturday, May 12, 2007

8 Things

Blame Natasha. She tagged me.

Start with eight random facts/habits about yourself. Tag eight more people to blog their own eight things.

1. I almost never read nonfiction books. Because I commit to the one book I'm reading at any given time, I'm a little afraid that I would get stuck forever inside a nonfiction book I wasn't motivated to read, and never get to read fiction again.

2. When I was a kid, I claimed to be more of a dog person than a cat person because my dad likes dogs so much better, and I was a daddy's girl. Now I'm making up for all those years of repression, and my live-in boyfriend is probably the only thing standing between me and crazycatladyhood.

3. I'm a cultural snob, and I avoid any appreciation of bestselling music or books. When I just can't resist the pleasures of Evanescence or Maroon 5, I turn the volume down at stoplights. And when I finally get around to reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy, I'll peel the Oprah's Book Club sticker off the cover.

4. We're starting to look for a new apartment, and I've recently realized that a private balcony or porch is more important to me than pretty much any other amenity. Because I'm a walking paradox: an outdoorsy homebody.

5. I've never been out of the United States, not even to Mexico or Canada (despite having lived just hours away from the latter for most of my life). So far, this is what I regret most in my life.

6. I love food. And I love trying new food so much that in this city with hundreds of wonderful restaurants, going out to one I've eaten at before feels a little like wasting money.

7. Some of my best childhood memories are of my mom reading to me. She usually chose books because they had artistic illustrations, and I remember her saying so. Now that I work in a bookstore, I know I inherited her love of cool illustrations. This explains my obsession with Jan Brett, Skippyjon Jones, Hondo & Fabian, and this book about Frida Kahlo.

8. I'm fascinated by pregnancy. Because I don't intend to experience it intimately for at least five years, I'm a little weird around pregnant women. I stare at them, and if I know them, I hound them with questions. Just ask the pregnant Community Relations Manager I work with.

I won't bother tagging eight people, because I think the only person in my blogiverse who might actually do this is my baby sister.

3 Comments:

Blogger Loralee Choate said...

I understand the fear of non-fiction, but there are some great ones out there.

I also understand the need to not buy into the latest trend of anything. Right now the thing that has been utterly gagging the most is "The Secret" BLECK.

I say let your inner cat-freak out and get a kitty. Just make sure they aren't possessed by demon-whores and you'll be fine. :)

5/15/2007 3:09 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

After I finish Anna Karenina, I think I'm going to borrow a book on the cultural history of virginity from work.

You've been gagging on the Secret? Tell me about it. For a while, we were selling something like 80 copies a week at the bookstore where I work.

Oh, I have two kitties. They aren't possessed by demon-whores....but one of them may be possessed by plain old demons. ;-)

5/15/2007 7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can tag your homebody Mom...
I'm reading your blog to see what's up with you and I see congratulations are in order! I agree with what froyd said about that job.
Love,Mom

5/20/2007 5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home