Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Semi-Brief Update

I haven't been blogging much lately, simply because nothing's really been going on, even at the same time that I've been keeping fairly busy. I've been thinking more like a writer lately (which to me means that it's a reflex to compose descriptions of random everyday things in my head), but nothing holds my attention long enough to become a blog post. Instead, I feel like I'm filing all those observations away so they can eventually take their place in something bigger and more important, like a story or novel. But while I've been thinking like a writer, here are the highlights of what I've been doing:

I'm making progress toward publishing my fiction, not only in the sense that I'm thinking about writing again, but also insofar as the Writer's Market has made its way down from the shelf onto the coffee table, where it frequently gets picked up and paged through. I've been putting off cleaning in favor of reading and playing The Sims 2, the latter of which is really pretty mind-numbing, but did you know Sims can have twins? I had a preventative cardiovascular screening a week ago, which I don't recommend if you're looking for a good time, but which was kind of interesting now and then, like when they took a picture of the back of my eye (because, believe it or not, that's the easiest way to see visually what kind of shape my veins are in) and when I got to watch my own heart on an ultrasound machine. One of the results of this screening is that I've learned I need to make exercise more of a priority. For that and other reasons, after returning from my grandma's house where we'd celebrated Easter, Eric and I went for a long walk last night, through our neighborhood and along the river, where the sunset turned the opposite bank a burnt shade of orange. We discovered a nice park nearby and made note of a few apartments for rent. Afterward, I decided to catch up on some fairly urgent laundry. This morning, however, the laundry is still sitting in baskets by the basement door because last night when I went down to move the first load from the washer to the dryer, the basement was filled with smoke. The landlord had a guy come over to look at it today, and he'll be coming back later to (he thinks) clean out the lint trap in the outside wall. But since I hadn't used the dryer at all when the basement filled with smoke, and since Eric recently cleaned out that very lint trap, I think he's got more of a job than that to look forward to. I think he'll be taking apart the washing machine. Meanwhile, my "clean" (slightly smoky) clothes are mildewing in a basket on the kitchen floor. Awesome.

So that brings us up to date. I have two hours now to squeeze in as much cleaning (dishes and bathroom), getting ready for work (ironing, makeup, and hair), and relaxing (maybe a few minutes with a book and a quesadilla I'm really not supposed to eat) before I have to leave for a closing shift at the bookstore. So exciting.

2 Comments:

Blogger erin said...

hey girl -

yuck on the laundry... but i really just wanted to give you my e-mail address so that we could keep in touch, a little more personal-like. we can commiserate on being underappreciated writers together - and maybe trade work? anyway: epmc53@hotmail.com. that's it. much love, and i miss talking to you too - the corridor just isn't the same this year :)

4/10/2007 12:25 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Yay! Thanks, Erin...I'll be in touch.

4/10/2007 12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home