Saturday, May 27, 2006

Like a Writer

Last week, I promised myself I would start writing fiction again this week. But I couldn't dredge up any interest in writing. My new job has me working from 3-11 most nights, and my ideal writing time usually happens between about 4:00 and 9:00 in the evening. But even when I had time set aside for writing, I couldn't make myself do it. I don't even want to make myself write. Not at the beginning of a project, anyway. And right now I'm at the beginning of any number of possible projects. I don't want to write with an attending feeling of dread or fatigue, which is how I felt when I thought about sitting down to write.

I didn't even want to blog.

But today I felt something in my brain opening up. I considered writing something here, and felt like pursuing the thought further. I even wanted to express it in language. I didn't, but just the presence of the desire excited me. And now, even though I'm exhausted from a too-short night last night and a too-long day of work and a too-hot night tonight, I can hear the writer in me whispering. Inspiration suddenly lives everywhere. (Tonight, my brain is testing the idea of a series of short stories inspired by my job. If working the front desk at a hotel inspires me, I must be a writer.)

6 Comments:

Blogger erin said...

it's like blood coming back to a part of your body that has been asleep, or frostbitten - that little tingle. you know what that means? the writer in you is still alive, and has survived the rigors of academia. Nurse her back to health, nurture her, and pay attention to her little whisper. yay! i think she's gonna make it.

5/28/2006 1:43 AM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

Of course you're a writer!
Those of us who are looking at your forest can see that (Even if you're slamming your face into the tree for a moment due to exhaustion).

Glad you had a tingly-thingely goin on at the hotel.
(That could be a little pervy taken out of context!)

5/28/2006 1:58 AM  
Blogger Jessie said...

Yeah...I know what you mean! I have more to say, but am feeling dumb from allergies. I'll save it for later. :)-

5/28/2006 11:08 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Erin,
That's a perfect analogy.

Loralee,
Thank you. And you made me laugh. Twice.

Jessie,
I'm glad I was making sense. I really wanted to, but I was feeling dumb, too, from lack of sleep and this heat (which I actually love, except when I have to work or think).

5/28/2006 4:02 PM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

Glad I could be of service! :D

5/30/2006 5:55 PM  
Blogger James Behrens, OCSO said...

I hope you do write about your job experiences - you must hear a lot of stories at the hotel and see a lot of things - good luck to you - James

6/25/2006 7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home