Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Mini Vacation Heaven

For two and a half days and two nights, I put work and responsibility out of my mind. On Monday afternoon--as we drove along the North Shore and I looked out the window at snow-flocked beauty and crashing waves--I suddenly realized that I had gone most of a day without even thinking the word "thesis." Instead...

...I relaxed, in a room in a lodge with a king size bed, a two-person jacuzzi, a fireplace, and a DVD player.



This was our view:



...I ate. First, I had a wild rice burger and Starfire Pale Ale (citrusy--yum) at Fitger's Brewhouse in Duluth:



Later, I had an omelet with hashbrowns and pancakes; fried fish with mashed potatoes and cornbread, and a slice of black forest cheesecake; and Norwegian crepes with raspberry and blueberry filling/topping, which were delicious and gorgeous. Have I mentioned that I'm obsessed with food?


...and I went on a hiking/skiing adventure through blustery winds and stinging snow. It was fun. We went to Split Rock Lighthouse and skied around the lake a little:


We were the only ones there (the only other person we saw was an employee), because no one else was silly enough to go out on that unbelievably cold and windy rock without getting paid for it.

We also hiked around Gooseberry Falls:


Sometimes, in Bemidji, it's easy to forget how big things can be.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

Your vacation looks awesome! Look at that snow! I'm inspired to go too. Vinny and I loved our time up there when we got married. Maybe we should plan a half year anniversary celebration. Oh, it looks wonderful.

3/16/2006 12:38 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

It was great. On one hand, the weather sucked because it was cold and driving was hard. But we decided that being outside in bad weather can be pleasant, especially when you get to go inside afterward and watch the storm from a place where it's warm and cozy and there's beer.

3/16/2006 1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home