Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Slightly Homesick

I'm writing this in the basement of Eric's brother's house at 1:00 AM. My bed (a very cozy-looking queen-size) is to my left. The decor: clear plastic over pink insulation and wall studs, carpet remnants, a water softener. My bedmate, a labrador puppy, is already cashed out in the middle of the bed. I'm not complaining, and I'll probably be happy to have the lab's company. But I miss my little lofted bedroom, my cats, and my boyfriend. I'm a homebody, unfortunately, and I always feel kind of empty my first night somewhere else. Also, I think I'm a little bit scared about babysitting a 3-year-old and a 4-month-old for a week. Once I realize (tomorrow, I hope) that I'm capable of that, and I see this house in daylight, I'll feel better. I always make myself at home eventually.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

The kids will love you and you'll find your groove with them in no time. When my neice and nephew were that age , long walks were my trick to tire them out. Oh, the beauty of nap time. :)

And your new room sounds lovely.
Good luck and have fun! (careful though--they might make you want to have kids of your own!)

1/03/2006 10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jessie....please.....don't say such things...

1/03/2006 11:00 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Eric, you don't have to worry. I tried to take a 15-minute shower, and when I got out, Owen was screaming in his crib. Tera thought he would sleep for a while this morning since he was up a couple of times during the night, but he was up ten minutes after she walked out the door (at 7:30). And now he's tired, but refuses to sleep for more than 5 minutes. (I think the only reason he's being calm right now is because the clicking of the keys is hypnotizing him.) At least John's kind of self-sufficient. I just need to feed him and help him with his toys every now and then.

I'm sure it'll get better, but for right now the mommy gig seems way to complicated.

Also, how often do dogs need to go outside?

1/03/2006 11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amber...
happy to hear it. hope owen goes to sleep. chicker will need to go out about ever four hours or so. but she will probably ask when she needs it. if she starts to get really antsy and annoying, she's probly gotta go.

1/03/2006 11:36 AM  
Blogger Jessie said...

ahh, you guys are cute. ;)

1/03/2006 2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thpp!

1/03/2006 11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home