Sunday, October 23, 2005

As in life...

Blood, that is. Not blood and gore. Blood and life. Literature is kind of my life right now. Kind of always has been. And always will be, I guess.

But I'm not one of those crazy lonely people who is only capable of interacting with books. I have a boyfriend of five and a half years, two cats, a family that I love. And friends. Literature is life for some of them, too.

I'm working on my MA in English now, and onto the PhD next year. I teach a writing class. I think I'd rather teach literature, but it's okay. I'm still having fun.

I'm supposed to be writing a thesis proposal right this minute. I wrote out a couple of pages, quickly and badly. Now comes the hard part: sorting through it, refining it. Making it sound like I might know what I'm talking about. I'm feeling kind of discouraged at the moment, like I always do early in a project. There are usually a couple of days during which I suspect that I have nothing original to add to the topic I've chosen, that I will only be futilely rearranging what others have said, trying to pass it off as a thought I actually had. Eventually, with a flash of light and the scratching of a pen, I get over it and find the precise angle that will allow me to wedge my own thoughts into the wall of writing already out there. That's what usually happens, anyway.

Today I thought, "This is hard. I think I'll start a blog."

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Amber. You always did have a way with words...
I say, "This is hard, I think I'll go do something else."

10/24/2005 10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can you possibly have the time to be "Bored"???

10/25/2005 2:09 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Sometimes I get bored with being busy. Most of the work I do happens inside my own head, and I get sick of listening to myself think sometimes.

10/25/2005 6:41 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Hi Becky!

10/25/2005 6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am so excited! i will get live updates as to your progress! ain't the internet grand?
Em

10/30/2005 3:07 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

What progress? I'm actually at a complete standstill right now: what's a good title for a story about Alzheimer's disease?

10/30/2005 4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummm? (hehe)

11/01/2005 6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home